Musicology Job Wiki Roundup 2010 – Some Data and Hiring Figures
I’m splitting this year’s coverage into (at least) two separate posts. The first, simply gathers the data. A few caveats explaining the quote-unquote nature of the “facts” found below:
- The data is only as accurate as reported on the wiki itself. I did not take the time to verify each posting/placement. In other words, WYSIWYG.
- Numbers are based off of accepted positions only. Unlike years past, information from “canceled searches” or “rumored acceptances” columns has only been included where indicated specifically.
- Position specifications are based on the information provided in the listings (not necessarily who they ended up hiring).
- Some hires (especially those with degrees from more than 5 years ago) represent lateral moves
- Some ABDs have finished their degree and updated their degree year accordingly, others remain unchanged.
Here We Go:
As of the July 4th weekend, 49 known placements from 26 different institutions.
This includes Tenure-Track, Adjunct, and Post-Doc positions.
Parenthetical annotations indicate that one hire was ABD (*) or completed their PhD more than five years ago (#).
Schools with 5 placements (2):
UCLA-musicology (*); University of California, Berkeley (*##)
Schools with 4 placements (1):
Schools with 3 placements (2):
New York University (*#), University of Illinois (#)
Schools with 2 placements (8):
Eastman, Harvard (*), Princeton (#*), Stanford (*), University of Michigan (#), University of Pennsylvania (**), Wesleyan (*), UCLA-ethnomusicology
Schools with 1 placement (14):
Chicago (*), Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (#), Florida State, Koln, Heidelberg (#), Minnesota (#), Northwestern, North Texas, Southampton (#), USC, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UNC-Chapel Hill (*), U. Virginia (*)
Year on Year High Placements:
|UCLA and Berkeley (5)||UCLA (4)||Chicago (7)||Harvard (7)|
|Columbia (4)||Columbia, Florida State, Berkeley (3)||UCLA (6)||Columbia and Pittsburg (6)|
Breakdown of the 2009-2010 Tenure Track, Adjunct, and Post-doc hires:
28 Tenure-Track Positions
Degree Year (# of placements)
2010/ABD (6); 2009 (5); 2008 (3); 2007 (3); 2006 (2); 2005 (1); 2004 (3); 2002 (2); 2001 (1); 1997 (1); 1991 (1)
Average year of degree completion for those getting TT jobs: 2006/2007
15 Music History/Musicology TT Jobs
- 9 non-specified
- 6 specified: Pre-1750; Baroque; 17th/18th; 19th/20th; After 1945; and American
6 Ethnomusicology TT Jobs
- 5 non-specified
- 1 specified: African Music
2 Music History/Musicology/Ethnomusicology TT Jobs
5 Non-specified TT Jobs
- Asking for jazz, popular music, traditional music, and/or performance/applied instruction
13 Non-tenure Track Appointments (Adjuncts, 1-, 2-, & 3-year posts)
Degree Year (# of placements)
2010/ABD (7); 2009 (2); 2008 (1); 2007 (1); 2001 (1); 1977 (1)
Average year of degree completion for those getting non-TT jobs: 2008/2009 [excludes PhD from 1977]
5 Musicology non-TT Jobs
4 Music History non-TT Jobs
3 Ethnomusicology non-TT Jobs
1 non-specified non-TT Job
8 Postdocs went to 4 ABDs and 4 recent (2008-10) PhDs
In addition to the numbers above:
8 canceled searchers
10 searches of unknown status
12 listed as still in progress (short list established/held interviews)
12 with rumored acceptances
Including the “rumored acceptances” and the 2 additional hires that have been added to the wiki since I started pulling together the data on this post, the grand total of hires to 64 out of 91 total positions posted during 2009-2010.
By comparison (total number of hires/positions posted):
|64 of 91||66 of 107||108 of 129||65 of 78|
So, there you have it.
Some thoughts on the job wiki will follow in a subsequent post.